A big “Hello!” from mother-daughter team Linda and Michelle. This is our fifth year running the Atlantic Sojourn. We’re excited to be your hosts, and are committed to continuing the same exceptional service that guests have enjoyed here for so many years.
Linda’s roots go back to Atlantic Canada — her grandmother was born in Newfoundland, and her mother in Liverpool (also the birth place of famous country singer Hank Snow). Linda has lived in Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta, and loves to travel in Canada, the U.S., and internationally. She is pictured here with her partner, Jean-Guy, who helps with the B&B whenever his ship is in port.
Michelle is our “writer in residence” — no joke! When she’s not busy baking delicious cookies, cooking tasty breakfasts, or rolling up her sleeves to help keep the house sparkly clean, Michelle can be found at her desk working hard on her next book.
Learn more about her writing at www.michelleproulx.com.
History of the House
Captain William Charles Smith
Welcome to the original home of William Charles Smith, a fishing boat captain who later became the first president of W. C. Smith and Company (the forerunner of National Sea Products and, eventually, High Liner Foods). In 2018 he was declared a "Prominent Lunenburger" by the Town of Lunenburg -- click here for details!
W.C. Smith bought the lot from the Trustees of the Common in 1885, and in 1890 built a home in this location. But in 1905 he decided he needed a bigger home, in a style and size befitting his position as the head of one of Lunenburg’s most vigorous and expansive turn-of-the-century fish companies. So he moved the original home to the lot next door on McKenzie street, and built a new house on the existing foundation, facing what is now Victoria Road (then Bridgewater Road).
Mr. Smith died in 1920, but his second home (our B&B) stayed in his family until 1943. There have been several owners since that time, including Tom and Judy Jennings (who opened the Commander’s B&B here in 1992), and Sebelle Deese and Susan Budd (who opened the Atlantic Sojourn in 2004).
Architecturally, the house has retained all of its original character. It is a tall, large-scale, two-and-a-half story structure with pedimented gables formed by the continuation of the roof eaves across the gable ends. A molded belt course of decorative shingles runs between the first and second stories. There is a wide projecting bay on the side of the house, and the front door is protected by a formal portico which also functions as a veranda for the second floor.